(Credit: Wikimedia/Alamy)

News

Travis Scott, Drake and Live Nation named in Astroworld lawsuits

Travis Scott has been named in three lawsuits relating to the Astroworld tragedy. A crowd crush led to eight fans dying and hundreds suffering injuries. Drake and Live Nation are also co-defendants in the cases.

Scott has since posted a video on Instagram offering his condolences to the families of the victims. “We’re actually working right now to identify the families so we can help assist them during this tough time,” he emotionally said.

He continued, “My fans really mean the world to me. I always just really want to leave them with a positive experience. Anytime I can make out what’s going on, I stop the show and help them get the help they need.”

According to Billboard, festival attendee Manuel Souza has filed a petition in Harris County District Court. The document filed by Souza names Scott, the rapper’s record company Cactus Jack, festival organisers Live Nation and ScoreMore, plus several others.

Souza’s lawsuit allegedly accuses the defendants of negligence and gross negligence. It states that the incident resulted from their “motivation for profit at the expense of concertgoers’ health and safety”.

“Defendants failed to properly plan and conduct the concert in a safe manner,” claimed Souza’s attorney, Steve Kherkher. “Instead, they consciously ignored the extreme risks of harm to concertgoers, and, in some cases actively encouraged and fomented dangerous behaviours.”

“This kind of behaviour has long been encouraged by the festival’s founder and main performer,” Souza added. “His express encouragement of violence has previously resulted in serious violence at numerous past concerts.”

The lawsuit is asking for at least $1million in damages and demanding a restraining order that prevents any evidence from being destroyed.

Meanwhile, another lawsuit was filed on November 7th by Texas attorney Thomas J. Henry on behalf of an anonymous Astroworld attendee. Drake, who appeared at the festival, is listed as a co-defendant, as is Scott, Live Nation and NRG Stadium.

Henry said, “There is no excuse for the events that unfolded at NRG Stadium on Friday night. There is every indication that the performers, organisers, and venue were not only aware of the hectic crowd but also that injuries and potential deaths may have occurred. Still, they decided to put profits over their attendees and allowed the deadly show to go on,” Henry claimed.”

Furthermore, civil rights and personal injury attorney Ben Crump has filed a lawsuit on behalf of Noah Gutierrez, who attended the festival. He has claimed to have helped injured members of the crowd in the VIP area.

Crump wrote, “We are hearing horrific accounts of the terror and helplessness people experienced – the horror of a crushing crowd and the awful trauma of watching people die while trying unsuccessfully to save them.”